As you may know, Laravel is a PHP framework that offers a lot of goodies out of the box. At the core, Laravel and Adonis share the same philosophy.
Similarities between Laravel and Adonis
- They have a similar MVC structure.
- They come with an Object Relational Mapper (ORM). Laravel comes with Eloquent while Adonis comes with Lucid
- They handle session-based auth out of the box. Adonis goes two steps forward by handling JWT and personal token auth.
- Laravel is more opinionated than Adonis. In fact, Laravel 7 comes out of the box with Bootstrap as the default CSS library.
- Laravel is more mature than Adonis. Laravel has been around since 2011 while adonis has been in active development since 2017.
So how do I learn Adonis.js?
The official documentation is by far the best way to learn the bits and pieces of Adonis.js. But if you will like someone to hold your hand while you learn, you can check this awesome AdonisJS series (shameless plug) on building a real-world API using AdonisJS.
So after learning Adonis, how do I learn Laravel?
After learning Adonis, you will have a good overview of the core concepts behind Laravel and might not need a tutorial. If you do need a tutorial, you will find tons of amazing tutorials on laracasts.io.
Benefits of developing with Laravel
- Out of the box configuration for authentication, Redis, 2FA, Mail and much more.
- Ability to build Single Page Apps (SPAs) without a different server setup. Think of it as a modern monolith approach. This is achieved either through Livewire or Inertia.
- Automatic frontend asset compilation with Mix.
- Vibrant community so you never get lost.